An Introduction to Photography
Our Photography training course is a fantastic and intensive learning experience designed to take you directly into the heart of the world of Photography quickly, effortlessly and in the shortest period of time. Taught by an expert and well regarded professional Photographer with over 20 years experience in the field of fashion, wedding, portrait and commercial Photography, our Photography training course offers a concise, detailed and practical guide to mastering the skills required.
All of the fundamental aspects of Photography are covered in depth, as well as many special technical and compositional techniques most often acquired through many years of experience and innovation. Under the guidance of our professional photographer you will come to terms with many of the photographic fundamentals including: determining exposure, controlling the colour cast, focal length, lens aperture and how best to frame your image in a variety of situations. The sole aim of our Photography training course is to quickly assist you in getting the most out of the current technology available and to ensure you are able to take decent photos without frustration. At the conclusion of the course you will find yourself well on the way to creating superb photographs, quickly and confidently.
The tutor explained the basics of Photography very well which has given me a better understanding. very friendly and answered all questions and queries.
Rita, TUI Travel PLC.
Duration: 1 day.
Location: 21st Century Studios, St Albans, Hertfordshire. For security reasons, further details are only provided upon booking.
Times: 10.00am to 4.30pm.
Equipment: Our fully featured training room includes six top-of-the-range iMac computers configured to work in both Macintosh (OSX) and PC (Windows) modes, ensuring you the maximum familiarity with your chosen operating system.
Further assistance: Our FAQ page contains the answers to many common questions. Alternatively please call 07543 403616 to arrange to speak to our training manager.
Great tutor, great course, thanks x
Kimberley, Thumbs Up UK Ltd.
A very brief history of Photography
- Development of chemical photography
- The evolution of digital photography
- Shooting with your camera straight out the box
- Reading the manual
- Resetting defaults
- Auto white balance/exposure compensation
- Basic composition
- Landscape vs Portrait
- Determining exposure
- Optimimum exposure vs underexposure or overexposure
- How to use exposure compensation
- When to change and adopt different ISO settings
- Metering techiques: spot, centre-weighted and multi-zone metering
- Monitoring the histogram
- Program/shutter priority/aperture priority
- How and why we can change the white balance
- Controlling the colour cast
- Adapting to colour temperature
- Automatic vs manual
How to choose the best camera settings for your photos
- Finding your way around
- Controlling your camera
- Mastering the menus
- Altering settings
- Image composition
Knowing your lens
- Lens types
- How does a lens affect your image?
- Focal length and image size
- Focal length angle of view
How to create a shallow depth of field
- Lens aperture
- Aperture priority
- Controlling the focus distance
- Zone of sharpness
Framing your image
- Rule of thirds
- Golden Section
- Foreground interest/Background detail
- The power of colour
- Lead-in lines/Convergence
When and how to use the focus for creative effect
- Auto Focus
- Manual Focus
- Foreground Focus
- Background Focus
- Focus Lock
Supporting your camera
- Bean bags
What happens to the image after it has been shot
Photography and the law
- Where you can shoot
- Public places
- Private places
- Photographing children
Utilising the Nature of Light
- Light sources
- Light pressure and illumination
- Available light conditions
- Available light techniques
- Flash synchronisation
- Flash intensity
- Fill flash
- Bounce flash
- Slave flash
- The advantages and drawbacks of flash
- Flashguns: their use, limitations, trigger voltages & rules of handling
File Formats – RAW vs JPEG
- Image quality guide
- Which file format is best?
- Compressed vs Uncompressed
- Wide dynamic range vs Narrow dynamic range
- File size
- Noise issues
Teaching was great. Really friendly + funny. Was a really enjoyable day.
Olivia, TUI Travel PLC.
Schedule your own training course
Please tell us where and when YOU would like to attend this course. If we are able to schedule the course, we will contact you.